I set up this page because some friends of mine are frequently calling upon me to track down information on the web for them. They think I have some gift for it, but really all I have is knowledge of what tools are available. So I set up this page for them and anyone else to use. Knock yourself out!
- My favorite search engine, one of the most powerful and comprehensive available. Tip: to find a specific phrase, put a + sign next to it and enclose the phrase in quotation marks.
- Another good search engine. It sometimes finds things that AltaVista doesn't.
- This search engine is set up differently than some others (I don't know the tech stuff) and so sometimes gets better results. Play with it.
- If you know the exact name of the place you want but not its url, this can often find it quickly.
- Searches several search engines and arranges the hits by the type of site. Often quite handy.
- A new find for me. Looks to be fast and powerful.
- A free service that automatically checks search engines for the terms of your choice every few days and notifies you via email.
- Broken down into useful categories with descriptions of its chosen sites. Very handy. Get to know it!
- National white pages.
- Database America People Finder
- Another national white pages that also lets you do a reverse lookup (give it the number,and it gives you the name.)
- White and yellow pages for the U.S. and many other countries, and a reverse search on street addresses, along with many other features. Check this out if you haven't lately.
- Email address lookup.
- Internet Address Finder
- Another directory of email addresses.
- Mediainfo links--online media directory
- This site has expanded and now has other media (not just newspapers) from localities around the world.
- The Boston Globe
- Good stuff here, including the regional AP wire and searchable archives of past Globe stories.
- The Providence Journal-Bulletin
- I recommend the Local News section here. You can read the contents of the regional sections from all over the state.
- Datalounge Daily LGBT News
- Mostly culled from mainstream sources, the best feature is its searchable archives (especially since OutNow hasn't published for a while.)
- The Queer Resources Directory
- Although it's not kept up to date these days, it's still the most comprehensive collection of lgbt info. Get to know it.
- The Radical Religious Right Pages at the QRD
- Greg does a fantastic job with these. Nuff said.
- A Friendlier DejaNews Frontend
- Find out what people are saying on the many topics covered in Usenet newsgroups.
- The Stalker's Home Page
- He's not really a stalker, but he keeps track of what personal information is available online. Interesting.
- Find out who gave money to your favorite and least favorite federal candidates.
- The Other Queer Page
- The beginnings of a comprehensive index of queer sites--quite good.
- Useful and/or Interesting Stuff
- A hodgepodge of links that I put together about stuff that may or may not interest you.
That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have any requests for resources that you think are on the web. Enjoy!
Tina M. Wood
Warwick, RI 02888